Friday, February 19, 2016

Why the difference?


This week was euphoric for us Nepalese, as the Nepali lads brought home gold after knocking down the hosts India in the 12th South Asian Games final at the Indira Gandhi Stadium in Guhati. Nepal won the title after 23 years since the 6th SAF Games in 1993, and in the midst of the match fixing scandal, this win has promised a hopeful beginning for Nepali Football.

Team Nepal received grand welcome from the entire country as they arrived back home on Wednesday. I myself got a glimpse of the victory rally at Gaushala, where the heroes were waving from the Nepal Army truck towards the passionate fans. Oh it was amazing! I got goosebumps after hearing the roaring chants from the crowd! Nepal! Nepal! Aru bela j bhae ni, 'khelkud' le chai khatrai patriotic feel dincha! I couldn’t help but get down from the bike and take a picture. Here’s the shot I took.

It was also very generous of the Government to announce Rs. 5 lakh for each gold winner. Some of the health institutions even declared that they would be providing free health services to the players in the football team. Such reward definitely boosts the morale of the players and inspires them to thrive for even better performance.

However, it was saddening to not see the other gold medalists; Nima Gharti Magar (for Wushu) and Phupu Lhamu Khatri (for Judo) receive similar kind of treatment. Phupu Lhamu Khatri left for Hungary from Guhati itself. However, Nima Gharti did arrive at the airport but only handful of people including her family and friends were there to welcome her.

The Nepali women football team also exhibited an extraordinary performance in SAG. Though they had to settle for silver, their journey up to final has inspired many Nepali women including me. But no signs of rally or felicitations from any government officials was seen when they arrived home.

I think such differential and discriminatory behavior towards the players lowers their spirit and even make a negative impact upon their performance in future. I can confidently say this because most of us can relate this with our daily life experiences. I remember my school days, when my parents got me a watch for getting good marks in math. That got me all motivated to do better because I knew, the next time if I get better marks, I was going to get a bicycle (which I never did lol). At present, I am no longer a school going student, but I do have similar story to share. My boss recently told me that he does not even have to read the report I write, because he believes that I am good at it. Well, it was just a simple verbal statement he made, but that made me feel confident as well as more responsible towards every work I perform in the office. Be it a small or big achievement, every single one of us needs a push, a motivation once in a while to keep us going.

I hope the government will realize the importance of non-discriminatory motivation of the sports persons as these rewards and encouragement undoubtedly serves as a positive reinforcement for making them work relentlessly to put out a performance that is going to make the country proud.


I say kudos to all the players who represented Nepal in SAG. You have made us proud!

Nima Gharty Magar
Phupu Lhamu Khatri
Women Football Team arrive home
PC: goalnepal.com





No comments:

Post a Comment