Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Dedicating my Shivaratri to the women!

Shivaratri to me has always been about evening walk to Pashupati, Shivaji’s Prasad;) , Babaji, bonfire, street vendors and flow of human crowd.
Crowd  seen during Shivaratri
PC: trekkingnepalhimalaya.wordpress.com

I remember the time, years ago, when public were allowed to enter the premises of Pashupati on Shivaratri without any restriction. Me and my family would go to Pashupati for evening stroll. Maa used to bargain for falam ko bhada while me and my siblings compelled Baba buy us colorful Murali (flute), balloons and cotton candy.

We still follow our Shivaratri ritual but this year, unlike me, everyone in my family already had something planned out. Maa was complaining about having to go to work even on a holiday while brother left early for some volunteer work he was doing at Pashupati. My younger sister was also all dressed up to go to Pashupati with her friends. I stayed home and did some household chores. Since the time I have been engaged in 9 to 5 job, I have come to realize the beauty of staying home doing nothing. Gham tapdai suntala khane pani thulo kura bhako cha!

Today afternoon while I was onto some sun basking, I saw a guy staring at me. This guy was one of the construction workers in the house next to mine. I tried to ignore him for a while, but he was still looking. In a situation like this, I have come up with a strategy to look right back at them in anger until their prying eyes look away. Well the strategy did work for a while but when I looked away, he would be staring again.

Similar incident had happened to me few days ago when I caught another guy (another construction worker) staring through my window. Due to boiling anger, I had absentmindedly blown a punch in air with an annoyed expression and then closed the curtain (feeling Sunny Deol u know! lol :P).

I was really bothered by these incidents, so I called a friend of mine asking for a suggestion to stop this. I also shared about the ‘stare back’ strategy I used on this guy today. However, it was shocking for me to hear that my friend thought I might have provoked the guy and also given an impression that I was interested in him. I know my friend was just trying to warn me for good but it’s really surprising how quickly we become judgmental about a woman’s action in the name of keeping them safe.

Getting back to Shivaratri…me and my friends did go for evening walk today. The excitement of seeing cotton candy, balloon and colorful flute in the streets during Shivaratri was just as it used to be when I was a kid. Another thing that has remained the same is the harassment women have to face during Shivaratri. While walking on the crowded street especially in and around the Pashupati area, staring, ‘accidentally’ pushing, touching, making explicit comments and laughing are completely normal for the perpetrators and I don’t think there would be a single woman who has not been through similar experience.


Eve teasing or catcalling as we say it is an offensive act and a form of harassment. Women are always at its risk, be it in a public vehicle, streets, or any other public place. I myself have been a victim of it, which has caused me mental distress for a long time. In such situation, we usually tend to just gulp down the anger in shame and embarrassment and not speak out against it, fearing the consequences of our action. Since the government also does not have strong law against eve teasing in Nepal, a woman who is confident enough to fight back is instead blamed for her appearance which actually is a lame excuse because how a woman chooses to dress is not the cause, but a sick minded man is.


Every time we women have such bitter experience, we start to think it might have been our fault and some might even wish they were born a man. We also have the 'should’ve..', 'could’ve..' moments later on when we realize the things we must have said and done at that time. 

It's high time we stop compromising and start fighting against any form of violence against women. Thought I myself am not a fight-back type, this women’s day I make a pledge to speak out and not keep the suffering to myself. Women should get the respect they deserve and not be mistreated in anyway, anywhere, be it in their home, public place or workplace. The society and state should ensure support from their level for ending any form of violence against women and men. Men and women should be made aware about gender based violence and gender equality starting from their schools though education because only with the foundation of education and awareness, empowerment is possible. 

Let us raise our voices to stop violence against women and men because the power of change is in our hands! 

2 comments:

  1. while getting on the same thought, i remember my days in the street on Kathmandu it was horrible. I used to not get out of the house after dark for me 7 pm was the limit. Especially my mom "keti manche bhaye pachi afai le bichar puraunu parcha, badi uttaulo hune hoina". Now i realize our society does not have respect of the woman. Woman who is the life source of human existence is not secured among human. i strongly recommend all of us to treat the women equally, initiation should come from us raise your voice against any kind of assault, gender discrimination or violence..

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Woman who is the life source of human existence is not secured among human"...such a bitter reality! While my brother could go out at night for football match screening, I was told to stay home because of safety issues. Story of every women's life I guess. Thanks for sharing your story, and for taking your time out to read this. :)

    ReplyDelete